Content and graphics © Fiona Brianne. Powered by Blogger.

Social icons

Tuesday, May 12, 2015

First Impressions: Revlon Ultra HD Lipsticks | Iris and Hydrangea


 I recently treated myself to a couple new pieces of clothing for my wardrobe in the name of " it is almost Summer and I have nothing new to wear", so I decided that I also needed something ( anything! ) to add to my beauty drawers. Of course, along with a few other purchases at my local drugstore of choice, I came home last week with these lipsticks. Why? Once again, they had a little blue " NEW" sticker on their label and I couldn't resist. One the plus side, you guys get a first impressions post so it's a win-win.



These shiny new lipsticks are from a new addition to Revlon's already impressive line of lipsticks; the Ultra HD lipsticks first appeared back in the autumn of last year, but as always, beauty products originally from America take their time to hit our shores. I picked up two shades since there was a 2 for £10 offer going at Superdrugs at the time; the shades are called Iris ( a deep mauve purple ) and Hydrangea ( a bright spring like pop of pink ).


First impressions wise, these lipsticks are extremely easy to smudge. I couldn't wait till I my camera had charged to open these lipsticks up, but when I did, I managed to smudge the tips on the lids, hence why the bullets look less than perfect. Another thing is that they do not wind all the way down so I have almost decapitating half the product already. I really don't understand why Revlon chose to so that actually!  Another thing I noticed is the smell. I am not sure if they are supposed to smell like flowers ( because of the names?) but they have a very distinctive sweet smell, which I actually like. Anything is better than that nasty cheap factory smell a lot of other lipsticks carry.

In terms of packaging, I am not too fussed. Obviously, with my experience of mirrored packaging, they tend to hold onto dirt and makeup smudges. The see-through lid is a plus for me so I can easily see the colour once these are dashed into my drawer, but I guess it is also a minus because it very clearly shows the makeup burn marks along the sides, which isn't pretty!


 

Swatch wise, the colour payoff is amazing. I do not need to lather up the product to get a solid line and the above swatches were done only once. The formulation is extremely creamy and soft, which I think definitely makes replacing the cap without taking a chunk of lipstick away almost impossible. Out of the two colours, my favourite is Hydrangea, most probably because I am in that brighter mood at the moment, but Iris will definitely be on show most likely towards September and October when the weather gets colder.

on the lips: Hydrangea ( one swatch / coat)

on the lips: Iris ( one swatch  / coat)

Looking at swatches on my lips, I noticed that it is loaded with a ton of glitter; I now believe that this is just Revlon standards considering they also put a shed load in their foundations ( remember my Airbrush foundation review?)  It also defined the horrible natural lines in my lips, which I have such trouble filling in, but it didn't sink in to create floating bits of lipstick after I opened my mouth or spoke.

The only thing that confuses me is the choice of name. Ultra HD reminds me of the word "flawless", but these lipsticks didn't jump out at me and they don't appear to do anything special.
Regardless, my first impressions are good and I just hope that they will last, say three months down the line, especially when it comes to testing lasting power in the heat of the summer months.

~

Let me know if you have tried this new line of Revlon lipsticks; what do you think?
Which is your favourite?
Also, I mentioned in the post that I bought these with a 2 for £10 offer at Superdrugs, so I hope some of you will hurry to your local store and stock up on your favourite Revlon lip products ( you're welcome, btw!)

This post was not sponsored my Superdrugs or Revlon, all opinions are my own.



Happy Swatching
God Bless,
post signature

Post a Comment

Tuesday, May 12, 2015

First Impressions: Revlon Ultra HD Lipsticks | Iris and Hydrangea


 I recently treated myself to a couple new pieces of clothing for my wardrobe in the name of " it is almost Summer and I have nothing new to wear", so I decided that I also needed something ( anything! ) to add to my beauty drawers. Of course, along with a few other purchases at my local drugstore of choice, I came home last week with these lipsticks. Why? Once again, they had a little blue " NEW" sticker on their label and I couldn't resist. One the plus side, you guys get a first impressions post so it's a win-win.



These shiny new lipsticks are from a new addition to Revlon's already impressive line of lipsticks; the Ultra HD lipsticks first appeared back in the autumn of last year, but as always, beauty products originally from America take their time to hit our shores. I picked up two shades since there was a 2 for £10 offer going at Superdrugs at the time; the shades are called Iris ( a deep mauve purple ) and Hydrangea ( a bright spring like pop of pink ).


First impressions wise, these lipsticks are extremely easy to smudge. I couldn't wait till I my camera had charged to open these lipsticks up, but when I did, I managed to smudge the tips on the lids, hence why the bullets look less than perfect. Another thing is that they do not wind all the way down so I have almost decapitating half the product already. I really don't understand why Revlon chose to so that actually!  Another thing I noticed is the smell. I am not sure if they are supposed to smell like flowers ( because of the names?) but they have a very distinctive sweet smell, which I actually like. Anything is better than that nasty cheap factory smell a lot of other lipsticks carry.

In terms of packaging, I am not too fussed. Obviously, with my experience of mirrored packaging, they tend to hold onto dirt and makeup smudges. The see-through lid is a plus for me so I can easily see the colour once these are dashed into my drawer, but I guess it is also a minus because it very clearly shows the makeup burn marks along the sides, which isn't pretty!


 

Swatch wise, the colour payoff is amazing. I do not need to lather up the product to get a solid line and the above swatches were done only once. The formulation is extremely creamy and soft, which I think definitely makes replacing the cap without taking a chunk of lipstick away almost impossible. Out of the two colours, my favourite is Hydrangea, most probably because I am in that brighter mood at the moment, but Iris will definitely be on show most likely towards September and October when the weather gets colder.

on the lips: Hydrangea ( one swatch / coat)

on the lips: Iris ( one swatch  / coat)

Looking at swatches on my lips, I noticed that it is loaded with a ton of glitter; I now believe that this is just Revlon standards considering they also put a shed load in their foundations ( remember my Airbrush foundation review?)  It also defined the horrible natural lines in my lips, which I have such trouble filling in, but it didn't sink in to create floating bits of lipstick after I opened my mouth or spoke.

The only thing that confuses me is the choice of name. Ultra HD reminds me of the word "flawless", but these lipsticks didn't jump out at me and they don't appear to do anything special.
Regardless, my first impressions are good and I just hope that they will last, say three months down the line, especially when it comes to testing lasting power in the heat of the summer months.

~

Let me know if you have tried this new line of Revlon lipsticks; what do you think?
Which is your favourite?
Also, I mentioned in the post that I bought these with a 2 for £10 offer at Superdrugs, so I hope some of you will hurry to your local store and stock up on your favourite Revlon lip products ( you're welcome, btw!)

This post was not sponsored my Superdrugs or Revlon, all opinions are my own.



Happy Swatching
God Bless,
post signature

Post a Comment