Content and graphics © Fiona Brianne. Powered by Blogger.

Social icons

Friday, April 10, 2015

New Literature Haul + SOME ADVICE!


I do love a good book.
Whether it is a read on the bus, on the coach on my way home or in bed, reading has always been my way of escape. It's quite rewarding after a stressful day to curl up and pick up a story where you last left off. I just finished reading a bunch of short murder mysteries on my GoogleBooks account, so I decided to invest in some hardback copies- there is nothing like turning a real page, rather than flicking it across your tablet screen.
 

 
I managed to get my hands on four new books, two from the bookstore, one from Amazon and one on loan from a good friend ( that still counts, right?)



Insurgent- Veronica Roth
If you know me, you will know that this book is a must have on my book bucket list. I am a confessed Divergent series fan, just by watching the first film. Usually I prefer the original books to the film adaptations ( Hunger Games) so I decided that before I go off and watch the second film in the series, I might as well read the book. I have already started this one and I will be honest, I am still completely in love with the film. The book isn't very complicated, which might be because it is aimed at teens, and the story is quite predictable. However, I am still more than ready to see the film, I have been having withdrawal symptoms since it was released on 19th March- it's nearly been a month!
 
 
 
Gone Girl- Gillian Flynn
This is another book-into-film adaptation and although I also want to see the film, I have heard many amazing reviews about the book. The book itself more or less made me pick it up- if everyone else is talking about it, then I want to be able to talk about it too. This is the kind of book I like the most- it's a thriller mystery following a man named Nick who becomes the prime suspect in the disappearance of his wife, who vanishes on their fifth wedding anniversary. It sounds bad, but anything with a murder and a mystery will get me to read at least a couple of pages in. I'm also not very good at solving these mysteries, so it is always good to get to the end; I can't wait to start this one.
  


The Girl from Nowhere- Dorothy Koomson
This is my favourite purchase of the haul because Dorothy Koomson is my favourite author ( and if you have been reading my blog or watching my videos for a while now, you will know this is the case!). Her books have amazing involving storylines which she manages to start right from the first page. I have yet to guess the correct ending to a book of hers so I am hoping I will have the chance with this book. This was actually pre-ordered on Amazon back in March as a birthday treat because it was officially released not too long ago on April 9th. It is definitely a different genre from her most recent three of four books, which all have a theme of murder, as this one seems to be about discovery and a more diverse reading age. If you haven't read any of her books, be warned, because while I can't stand profanity in books, hers do have chunks of "bad" words and sensitive storylines involving themes like rape, abuse, prostitution, murder and divorce/ separation.
 


 
Dusty Crowns- Heather Lindsey
If you consider reading any of the books in this haul, you must start with this one. I think every woman, whether single, married, successful, Christian or atheist, should read Dusty Crowns because it basically speaks truth. The book is aimed at Christian women and was recommended to me by a friend- I love it. The author Heather Lindsey had a tough upbringing as a child and teenager but since finding faith in God has managed to turn her life around and is now a mother, wife, motivational speaker and business woman. The book provides no nonsense advice on how to treat yourself properly as a woman and how to become a better you by following God's calling- it's actually pretty funny, I have probably laughed at the most inappropriate times, but it gest your brain going and leaves you feeling ready to change your habits and thoughts. As a Christian, I can't recommend this book enough and since reading it, I have pretty much been stalking Heather and her family on Instagram- no shame!
 
 ~ 
 Those four books are likely to keep me going for the next couple of months when I have a spare moment for myself.
 
SOME ADVICE!
Just to say that it is extremely important to find time to relax in the day. You can spend so long on your feet in one working day, rushing around trying to get stuff done, and then do the same thing the next day too! Even if you are young and at university or college, make sure you learn how to put everything down and revive.
 If you don't read, why don't you go to bed early, go for a run, watch your favourite TV show in bed or stretch -or you could just  BREATHE and stare at the ceiling, but give your body (and your heart!) a break!
Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.”
-Matthew 11:28-30
 
 ~
 If you have any book suggestions, let me know in the comments section, or if you have read any of the books above, let me know what you thought. Thanks for reading; I hope you enjoy your next chill time!
 
God Bless,
 
post signature

Post a Comment

Friday, April 10, 2015

New Literature Haul + SOME ADVICE!


I do love a good book.
Whether it is a read on the bus, on the coach on my way home or in bed, reading has always been my way of escape. It's quite rewarding after a stressful day to curl up and pick up a story where you last left off. I just finished reading a bunch of short murder mysteries on my GoogleBooks account, so I decided to invest in some hardback copies- there is nothing like turning a real page, rather than flicking it across your tablet screen.
 

 
I managed to get my hands on four new books, two from the bookstore, one from Amazon and one on loan from a good friend ( that still counts, right?)



Insurgent- Veronica Roth
If you know me, you will know that this book is a must have on my book bucket list. I am a confessed Divergent series fan, just by watching the first film. Usually I prefer the original books to the film adaptations ( Hunger Games) so I decided that before I go off and watch the second film in the series, I might as well read the book. I have already started this one and I will be honest, I am still completely in love with the film. The book isn't very complicated, which might be because it is aimed at teens, and the story is quite predictable. However, I am still more than ready to see the film, I have been having withdrawal symptoms since it was released on 19th March- it's nearly been a month!
 
 
 
Gone Girl- Gillian Flynn
This is another book-into-film adaptation and although I also want to see the film, I have heard many amazing reviews about the book. The book itself more or less made me pick it up- if everyone else is talking about it, then I want to be able to talk about it too. This is the kind of book I like the most- it's a thriller mystery following a man named Nick who becomes the prime suspect in the disappearance of his wife, who vanishes on their fifth wedding anniversary. It sounds bad, but anything with a murder and a mystery will get me to read at least a couple of pages in. I'm also not very good at solving these mysteries, so it is always good to get to the end; I can't wait to start this one.
  


The Girl from Nowhere- Dorothy Koomson
This is my favourite purchase of the haul because Dorothy Koomson is my favourite author ( and if you have been reading my blog or watching my videos for a while now, you will know this is the case!). Her books have amazing involving storylines which she manages to start right from the first page. I have yet to guess the correct ending to a book of hers so I am hoping I will have the chance with this book. This was actually pre-ordered on Amazon back in March as a birthday treat because it was officially released not too long ago on April 9th. It is definitely a different genre from her most recent three of four books, which all have a theme of murder, as this one seems to be about discovery and a more diverse reading age. If you haven't read any of her books, be warned, because while I can't stand profanity in books, hers do have chunks of "bad" words and sensitive storylines involving themes like rape, abuse, prostitution, murder and divorce/ separation.
 


 
Dusty Crowns- Heather Lindsey
If you consider reading any of the books in this haul, you must start with this one. I think every woman, whether single, married, successful, Christian or atheist, should read Dusty Crowns because it basically speaks truth. The book is aimed at Christian women and was recommended to me by a friend- I love it. The author Heather Lindsey had a tough upbringing as a child and teenager but since finding faith in God has managed to turn her life around and is now a mother, wife, motivational speaker and business woman. The book provides no nonsense advice on how to treat yourself properly as a woman and how to become a better you by following God's calling- it's actually pretty funny, I have probably laughed at the most inappropriate times, but it gest your brain going and leaves you feeling ready to change your habits and thoughts. As a Christian, I can't recommend this book enough and since reading it, I have pretty much been stalking Heather and her family on Instagram- no shame!
 
 ~ 
 Those four books are likely to keep me going for the next couple of months when I have a spare moment for myself.
 
SOME ADVICE!
Just to say that it is extremely important to find time to relax in the day. You can spend so long on your feet in one working day, rushing around trying to get stuff done, and then do the same thing the next day too! Even if you are young and at university or college, make sure you learn how to put everything down and revive.
 If you don't read, why don't you go to bed early, go for a run, watch your favourite TV show in bed or stretch -or you could just  BREATHE and stare at the ceiling, but give your body (and your heart!) a break!
Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.”
-Matthew 11:28-30
 
 ~
 If you have any book suggestions, let me know in the comments section, or if you have read any of the books above, let me know what you thought. Thanks for reading; I hope you enjoy your next chill time!
 
God Bless,
 
post signature

Post a Comment