Content and graphics © Fiona Brianne. Powered by Blogger.

Social icons

Wednesday, December 17, 2014

Seventeenth of Blogmas: Messages from Minaj


I have never really be a Nicki Minaj fan. She's one of those artists you either really love or really can't stand. Personally I am not drawn to her lyrics or image - though I will admit I used to love a bit of Superbass. She's so brass and bold and has taken her music and style to levels that no other musician has dared to go. I don't listen to music that is dripping with language or stepped in sex because that doesn't enrich me as a person.
However, today as I was waiting for the bus home from work, I noticed a new single of hers on my Spotify home screen and just for curiosity's sake, I decided to give it a listen. I wouldn't be lying if I said I was ready to turn it off if I recognise that lyrical path that she tends to go down but I was pleasantly surprised that this song showed a completely different and vulnerable side to a very loud and outspoken musician.
The song 'All Things Go' is pretty deep. It's a reflection of life, looking at her fame, her effect, her family, and her mistakes. She reveals some past hurts in life including the death of her cousin to violence, the off relationship with her mum and then at the height of emotion, mentions her child whom she aborted when she was younger. In a nutshell, she basically calls out that time will move on, people will change, things will go wrong even if you are rich and famous, but you have got to keep moving on. It just reminded me that life can get you down and  bad things happen to everyone. 
Strangely the song also reminds me of what Jesus said to his disciples when he revealed that he would soon fulfil his destiny on Earth by dying and then return to heaven.  

"I have told you all this so that you may have peace in me. Here on earth you will have many trials and sorrows. But take heart, because I have overcome the world."
-John 16:33

 In short, it reveals that life will be hard, there is no escape from that! But it is how we approach our situations that determine whether we fall or fly. Nicki looks forward in the song to the future and has hope. This week at church, I was reminded that there is no greater hope than in Jesus, who overcame death for us but began life as a humble baby, which is something we celebrate at Christmas. So be encouraged to find strength to carry on.
Isn't it strange the kind of messages we find in songs!
~
Thanks for reading; make sure you follow my blog via Bloglovin ( the link is on the right >>) so you don't miss any of my posts! Just a week of Blogmas left, my other posts are linked below x !

BLOGMAS 2014:
Be Encouraged
God Bless,
post signature

Post a Comment

Wednesday, December 17, 2014

Seventeenth of Blogmas: Messages from Minaj


I have never really be a Nicki Minaj fan. She's one of those artists you either really love or really can't stand. Personally I am not drawn to her lyrics or image - though I will admit I used to love a bit of Superbass. She's so brass and bold and has taken her music and style to levels that no other musician has dared to go. I don't listen to music that is dripping with language or stepped in sex because that doesn't enrich me as a person.
However, today as I was waiting for the bus home from work, I noticed a new single of hers on my Spotify home screen and just for curiosity's sake, I decided to give it a listen. I wouldn't be lying if I said I was ready to turn it off if I recognise that lyrical path that she tends to go down but I was pleasantly surprised that this song showed a completely different and vulnerable side to a very loud and outspoken musician.
The song 'All Things Go' is pretty deep. It's a reflection of life, looking at her fame, her effect, her family, and her mistakes. She reveals some past hurts in life including the death of her cousin to violence, the off relationship with her mum and then at the height of emotion, mentions her child whom she aborted when she was younger. In a nutshell, she basically calls out that time will move on, people will change, things will go wrong even if you are rich and famous, but you have got to keep moving on. It just reminded me that life can get you down and  bad things happen to everyone. 
Strangely the song also reminds me of what Jesus said to his disciples when he revealed that he would soon fulfil his destiny on Earth by dying and then return to heaven.  

"I have told you all this so that you may have peace in me. Here on earth you will have many trials and sorrows. But take heart, because I have overcome the world."
-John 16:33

 In short, it reveals that life will be hard, there is no escape from that! But it is how we approach our situations that determine whether we fall or fly. Nicki looks forward in the song to the future and has hope. This week at church, I was reminded that there is no greater hope than in Jesus, who overcame death for us but began life as a humble baby, which is something we celebrate at Christmas. So be encouraged to find strength to carry on.
Isn't it strange the kind of messages we find in songs!
~
Thanks for reading; make sure you follow my blog via Bloglovin ( the link is on the right >>) so you don't miss any of my posts! Just a week of Blogmas left, my other posts are linked below x !

BLOGMAS 2014:
Be Encouraged
God Bless,
post signature

Post a Comment