Content and graphics © Fiona Brianne. Powered by Blogger.

Social icons

Monday, February 03, 2014

First Impression: L'Oreal Mega Voume Miss Manga Mascara

When it comes to writing reviews, I have nothing to say other than " I am bad at it."

But while I was happily browsing the Internet the other day, I cam across something that made me instantly hibernate my computer and run down to my local Boots to pick one up ( along with some other pieces, which you will see soon in a future blog post, so keep your eyes peeled!)

This is my second L'Oreal mascara review and I hope to do more because at this rate, L'Oreal mascaras, apart from Maybelline, are the ones to beat.

I also filmed a First Impressions video which includes a small day diary update, posted to my YouTube; it will be linked at the bottom of this post if you are interested.

Their newest mascara addition is called the Mega Volume Miss Manga, inspired by the characters in Japanese animation who have bold doll-like voluminous lashes. I picked up their " Black" shade although there is is also a " Violet" and "Turquoise".

"Miss Manga features a 360 degree flexible brush for effortless application.
Its unique brush has a flat surface to intensify and amplify upper lashes while its conical shape capture the lower lashes.
Formulated with collagen spheres and polymers for ultimate volume and hold."
~ L'Oreal Paris UK website
 
From the mascara's specification, I am looking for a mascara that holds its shape and creates lots of volume for upper and lower lashes


P A C K A G I N G

If you read my L'Oreal False Lash Flutter review, you will know that I do not like the shape of the recent L'Oreal mascaras which take on an elongated eye shape- this is mainly because I find it difficult to grip and control. On top of this, the surface of the mascara wand is mirrored and smooth; these two properties make the product appealing to look at, but practicality wise, they do not offer any support.

The shape of the mascara wand makes the product difficult to grip


 However, on the plus side, I love the physical aspects of the packaging such as the girly font and the two toned pink-on-black colour choice; both aspects of which initially caught my eye.
 I am all for a pretty pink mascara, it makes the task of finding the product in my 'sea of mascara' drawer a whole lot easier.

 

  T H E  W A N D

The difference with this year's mascara is the "conical shape" that the wand has. 
The bristles at the base of the lash are longer and rounded and at the tip, they are shorter and pointed- the effect is supposed to easily coat the lower lashes by packing on the product to give obvious volume.

The 'conical' effect: Bristles are thicker at the base and thinner at the nib
While I was filming this review for my channel, I noticed that the wand bends in the middle, which caught me off guard and caused me to get product all over my eyelid. I am not sure if this is a fault with my mascara alone or if this is a desired specification, but it does aid in coating those hard to reach lashes on the edges of the eye ( once you get the hang of  the wand flexibility)

The bend in the wand gives the brush flexibility when applying

T H E  A P P L I C A T I O N / C O A T



This mascara is definitely on the 'wet' side, along with the L'Oreal False Lash Effect, so I decided in the video to apply two coats. I noticed straightaway that the brush gave my lashes instant length, something that I love since my lashes are thin and short. The consistency applied well throughout the first coat and was still wet when I went in a second time for another coat. The drying time was about 1 minute after completing the coat.

The Result:
My top lashes appear longer and there is definite volume, even in the edge lashes. I would be perfectly happy with one coat, but a second coat added even more volume, but did not add length.
My bottom lashes struggled a little bit on their second coat, and I did get a small amount of clumping, however, that may have been my heavy hand.

In terms of the colour, I am again impressed; L'Oreal mascaras are extremely pigmented and I had no trouble building up the intensity.


 


T H E  L A S T I N G  P O W E R

The day I filmed my first impressions, it was quite overcast and drizzling with rain. I also had university classes and work in the evening, so I knew that it would be the perfect day to test out the lasting power.
My left eye kept well, there was no visible flaking and both the length and volume were maintained.
However, under my right eye ( for some bizarre reason that I can not put my finger on) there was flaking and product on my cheek; in the video I got fallout on my finger.


End check-in: Some clumping underneath the bottom right eyes and more product on skin

 

O V E R A L L


Although I got two different results from my lashes at the end of the day, I am still impressed with the mascara and its claims overall.
 I personally noticed volume on my lashes and while I would not call it "mega" it was certainly noticeable. The volume framed my eyes well and maybe gave me a slight " manga eye" effect.

Once again, the shape of the product is not my favourite, although in comparison to the False Lash Flutter, the flexible brush is an interesting addition, although it threw me off at first.
The colour payoff is great, even after exposure to rain, and though I got some clumping, the product did not run down my face.

Therefore, I would definitely repurchase this mascara again; L'Oreal have won me over again.

The Small Print
Purchased: Boots (£8.99)
Colour: Black

~

What do you think of this mascara?

Leave me a comment telling me how you found the product.

Would YOU buy this mascara?





If you would like to watch me apply this mascara and see a visual diary of how I got on wearing it during the day, you can click this link to go over to the video on my YouTube channel.
 pssst... and while you are there, don't forget to subscribe.



Picture info:
Nails: Angelica 'Tigerlily'
Maybelline #220 Knitted gold ( ring finger)

Thank you for reading
God Bless,
post signature

Post a Comment

Monday, February 03, 2014

First Impression: L'Oreal Mega Voume Miss Manga Mascara

When it comes to writing reviews, I have nothing to say other than " I am bad at it."

But while I was happily browsing the Internet the other day, I cam across something that made me instantly hibernate my computer and run down to my local Boots to pick one up ( along with some other pieces, which you will see soon in a future blog post, so keep your eyes peeled!)

This is my second L'Oreal mascara review and I hope to do more because at this rate, L'Oreal mascaras, apart from Maybelline, are the ones to beat.

I also filmed a First Impressions video which includes a small day diary update, posted to my YouTube; it will be linked at the bottom of this post if you are interested.

Their newest mascara addition is called the Mega Volume Miss Manga, inspired by the characters in Japanese animation who have bold doll-like voluminous lashes. I picked up their " Black" shade although there is is also a " Violet" and "Turquoise".

"Miss Manga features a 360 degree flexible brush for effortless application.
Its unique brush has a flat surface to intensify and amplify upper lashes while its conical shape capture the lower lashes.
Formulated with collagen spheres and polymers for ultimate volume and hold."
~ L'Oreal Paris UK website
 
From the mascara's specification, I am looking for a mascara that holds its shape and creates lots of volume for upper and lower lashes


P A C K A G I N G

If you read my L'Oreal False Lash Flutter review, you will know that I do not like the shape of the recent L'Oreal mascaras which take on an elongated eye shape- this is mainly because I find it difficult to grip and control. On top of this, the surface of the mascara wand is mirrored and smooth; these two properties make the product appealing to look at, but practicality wise, they do not offer any support.

The shape of the mascara wand makes the product difficult to grip


 However, on the plus side, I love the physical aspects of the packaging such as the girly font and the two toned pink-on-black colour choice; both aspects of which initially caught my eye.
 I am all for a pretty pink mascara, it makes the task of finding the product in my 'sea of mascara' drawer a whole lot easier.

 

  T H E  W A N D

The difference with this year's mascara is the "conical shape" that the wand has. 
The bristles at the base of the lash are longer and rounded and at the tip, they are shorter and pointed- the effect is supposed to easily coat the lower lashes by packing on the product to give obvious volume.

The 'conical' effect: Bristles are thicker at the base and thinner at the nib
While I was filming this review for my channel, I noticed that the wand bends in the middle, which caught me off guard and caused me to get product all over my eyelid. I am not sure if this is a fault with my mascara alone or if this is a desired specification, but it does aid in coating those hard to reach lashes on the edges of the eye ( once you get the hang of  the wand flexibility)

The bend in the wand gives the brush flexibility when applying

T H E  A P P L I C A T I O N / C O A T



This mascara is definitely on the 'wet' side, along with the L'Oreal False Lash Effect, so I decided in the video to apply two coats. I noticed straightaway that the brush gave my lashes instant length, something that I love since my lashes are thin and short. The consistency applied well throughout the first coat and was still wet when I went in a second time for another coat. The drying time was about 1 minute after completing the coat.

The Result:
My top lashes appear longer and there is definite volume, even in the edge lashes. I would be perfectly happy with one coat, but a second coat added even more volume, but did not add length.
My bottom lashes struggled a little bit on their second coat, and I did get a small amount of clumping, however, that may have been my heavy hand.

In terms of the colour, I am again impressed; L'Oreal mascaras are extremely pigmented and I had no trouble building up the intensity.


 


T H E  L A S T I N G  P O W E R

The day I filmed my first impressions, it was quite overcast and drizzling with rain. I also had university classes and work in the evening, so I knew that it would be the perfect day to test out the lasting power.
My left eye kept well, there was no visible flaking and both the length and volume were maintained.
However, under my right eye ( for some bizarre reason that I can not put my finger on) there was flaking and product on my cheek; in the video I got fallout on my finger.


End check-in: Some clumping underneath the bottom right eyes and more product on skin

 

O V E R A L L


Although I got two different results from my lashes at the end of the day, I am still impressed with the mascara and its claims overall.
 I personally noticed volume on my lashes and while I would not call it "mega" it was certainly noticeable. The volume framed my eyes well and maybe gave me a slight " manga eye" effect.

Once again, the shape of the product is not my favourite, although in comparison to the False Lash Flutter, the flexible brush is an interesting addition, although it threw me off at first.
The colour payoff is great, even after exposure to rain, and though I got some clumping, the product did not run down my face.

Therefore, I would definitely repurchase this mascara again; L'Oreal have won me over again.

The Small Print
Purchased: Boots (£8.99)
Colour: Black

~

What do you think of this mascara?

Leave me a comment telling me how you found the product.

Would YOU buy this mascara?





If you would like to watch me apply this mascara and see a visual diary of how I got on wearing it during the day, you can click this link to go over to the video on my YouTube channel.
 pssst... and while you are there, don't forget to subscribe.



Picture info:
Nails: Angelica 'Tigerlily'
Maybelline #220 Knitted gold ( ring finger)

Thank you for reading
God Bless,
post signature

Post a Comment